Friday, September 11, 2009

I Grew These!

Just a few pics from the church garden stuff. I grew much more this year, but these are all things that were firsts for me.

Well, my first year of corn I kindof messed up - see how the kernels were starting to shrivel? I guess my first clue should have been the husks turning brownish LOL. But the cobs were still so small and it wasn't very late in the year when I picked this! I think the plants needed more nitrogen maybe, and I needed to plant more for sure. The kernels turned out to be regular size, way bigger than I expected, and they were great other than being small.
Yellow bells! :geeky excited dance:
I promptly cut this up along with a bunch of home grown tomatoes and tossed them with garlic, balsamic vinegar, and a touch of olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh basil. Yummmmmmmmm!

I am most excited about the butternut squash! I finally decided to pick this one as a trial:
I have read all sorts of things about when to pick butternut. The stems need to be 2 inches (they are not yet). You need to wait until the first frost (won't that be latish here?) But I have several lovely looking specimens and figured I would give one a try. So, hmmm, it seemed a bit stringy. I only cut a small chunk off, so I am not sure if there actually is something to the waiting, or if I maybe overcooked it. Going to be more careful with the rest of it and then decided if I should pick the rest!

No comments: