Friday, May 16, 2008

Turn Baby, Turn!

By evening I could hardly stand being in the house anymore, so we decided to go to the pool. I looked online at schedules and found out the Aloha pool had an evening swim. It is much closer than the one we usually go to, so we decided to check it out even though it didn't look quite as young child friendly.

Indeed, even the shallow end was too deep for Orion, but we still had a good time. Ron was a bit grumpy about it at first, but I told Orion to tell him, "If you get lemons, make lemonade." :) He loosened up and went with the flow, and the interesting thing that happened is that Orion got more practice than usual actually trying to *swim*. He usually just walks around, so this was a really different experience for him.

And... something much more important came out of it... I think.... The deep end was really deep - like 12 feet. I have been reading about ways to turn breech babies for weeks now and had come upon a deep diving method just recently. I was planning on trying it if Pam says I am still breech tomorrow, but since I was at this pool, I figured I would go take a couple visits to the bottom. I found out my ears clog up much faster than they use to, but I am good at popping them because of my scuba training, and I suck at holding my breath now! I used to be so good. I barely got down to the bottom before I felt like I had to come up.

I have read a couple things about this method. One had to do with just going deep because something about the pressure would induce the body to make more amniotic fluid, and thus the baby could move around easier. Another midwife wrote about the rushing water and inverted position helping to turn the baby. So I figured all these things together did make some sense.

I didn't feel a flip in the pool, but when I got out, I immediately noticed my back pain was gone. Ron also commented about how my belly shape looked different. I am not sure what the deal is, but my body just felt totally different and so much better. So here is to hoping that means she flipped tonight! We'll know tomorrow.

No comments: