Sunday, May 4, 2008

In California

We got to CA without too much stress. Portland had something new at the airport, or at least it didn't get mentioned to us last time. There were some really friendly people at the security check who directed us to a family line. And then the people in that line were really friendly, patient, helpful, etc. We ended up with an extra easy time of it because they let Ron come in with us. I told them at the desk my back really hurt and I needed help, and they just gave him a pass. BUT, it also turned out his license had expired yesterday! So he had to go to the other crazy thorough line. No big deal because he took the two things I was carrying on. Orion and I breezed right through and went to the gate to get our seats together. By the time we got back, Ron was almost done. And by the time we walked to the terminal, it was time to get on the plane. We couldn't have had better timing!

The flight was pretty good, although we sure had some grouchy flight attendants. And they put us in the front row which meant we had to put our stuff above and I couldn't get my tray out because it came out of the armrest and my belly was too big! Also, Orion seemed to have a shorter attention span than last time. I wonder if it had something to do with having the DS AND the DVD player. Last time, he was perfectly happy to watch Little Einsteins, but this time he kept wanting to go back and forth between the two.

Orion said something really cute and funny on the flight. I saw a little plane fairly close to ours during our ascent and pointed it out to him. He asked, "Do big planes make little planes?" Haha, funny boy.

Getting the luggage was a bit tricky as Orion started running around amidst the passengers, and I couldn't follow him very well. Rose and Jim had missed their turn and weren't there yet, so I figured I would just gather everything up and be stuck at the carousel until they got there.
But some nice man offered to help me take everything out to the curb. Yay for nice strangers!
They really are everywhere you go if you are open to help I am finding.

I knew the rest of the day was going to be really hard and was just hoping for the best with Orion. My brother was there when I got to Simi. I am glad they have been able to be with him so much. The first thing my dad did was come up to me with my mom's wedding ring and wanted me to wear it. :( He was crying of course, and I have a really hard time not crying when other people are crying. Not that there is anything wrong with crying, but I was wondering if it would freak Orion out. The funny thing was, I totally expected him to start asking questions about my mom, but he never did. I know Ron talked to him at home about death, so I am wondering if it actually sunk in at some level. He did go right to the closet where she had some toys for him last time and asked, "Where are Grandma's toys?" I told him we took them all home last time, and that was pretty much the end of him talking about her for the day.

Sarah came up in the afternoon. I think she was afraid to get here before I did. She has been really emotional and probably figured it would be even harder at the house. But she headed right up with Katie and Josh when she heard we had landed. Her Grandpa sure was glad to see her.

I wasn't in the mood for taking many pictures, but thought I should try to snap a few while I am here. This was about par for the course for the day. I will start saying, "Thank God for Josh" again now like I kept saying last time!
Here is my poor Dad trying to write an obituary. I think I will be taking this task over. That is a big magnifying glass at his right side. He doesn't see well to read let alone write.


The first night here was a bit rough. Sarah didn't feel like sleeping here and went back to LA.
My dad asked us to sleep in their bed, which I wasn't thrilled about, but also didn't want to hurt his feelings. To be honest, I was really glad Orion said he didn't want to. He is used to sleeping in a different room when he is here, so that made it easier to tell my dad we were going to stick with that one. And sure enough, the monsters reappeared. So it wasn't just the woods being scary. I guess it has more to do with being away from home. He has always been such a good little traveler, but maybe this just goes with his age... or everything else going on. He did say one really funny thing. The room we usually sleep in is like a storage room. It contains all my mom's sewing and craft stuff, as well as all sorts of stuff that was destined for her antique booth. There is all manner of crazy junk in there. For some reason, there was an oversized troll doll standing on a stool near the foot of the pull out bed. It was clearly a boy and had gray hair. Orion said, "That's Grandpa when he was a boy!" You kindof have to see it to get how funny it is, but I don't think I am going to have room to bring it home.

No comments: