Thursday, April 17, 2008

Sleep Struggles

I realized recently I don't post much about stuff that is a real downer. I'm not really sure why. Maybe I don't think I am a very good writer? Maybe I don't want to sound like a whiner? Who knows? But I just have to say... bedtime is sucking more and more around here lately.

First of all, Orion goes through these weird phases regarding what time he gets up. Some days I am shaking him at 9 something and have a hard time waking him up. Other days he is up in the 7s or 8s, or even once at 6:30. The weird thing is how it goes in waves. Like he will do several days to a week of late rising, then switch to early rising, but I can't figure out any pattern to it!

Then there is the relationship between waking time and getting to bed that night. It doesn't seem to matter how late he was up the night before (or hence how much sleep he got). For awhile, 10 was the cutoff time, then it was 9:30, now it seems more like 9. If he sleeps later than this, it is hell getting him to bed at night. But this is what has sucked recently. He has been up really early the last few days and still is fighting sleep like crazy.

Then there is the "I'm hungry" the minute after we brush his teeth (and had just asked if he wanted anything else to eat) and the "I have to poopoo" so we get up and he almost never does. The sucky thing about bedtime is that it comes at the end of the day when everybody is tired haha.

The hardest thing about this situation is that Ron and I both have a hard time not getting frustrated or even angry about it. Usually we can kindof switch off when one of us has had it, but we both hate this. It takes so long that we have a tendency to fall asleep with him, and I have found that if I get up, it is hard for me to go back to sleep, but if I don't, I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep anyways.

We have toyed with the idea of just letting him stay up and set his own sleep patterns to see what happens, but if I have things planned in the morning, this can be a real disaster in the behavior department. At this point, I feel like I have heard and tried just about every suggestion out there. The only one we haven't done is something like books on tape or music. Maybe I should give that a try just for lack of anything else. Ron and I are both feeling so frustrated about this. Some days it seems like he is progressively needing less and less sleep - like nowhere near the amount a kid his age usually gets, and then he goes back to sleeping in. I just don't know what to think about it anymore. :(

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh Lisa, it's so hard to deal with sleep stuff, let alone while pregnant. Just keep in mind that you can do whatever you want now because your whole world will change again when you have the babe. We let Moon watch videos in bed and it was no biggie to stop after we had Lan. I just couldn't stay up with her, so it was a different problem, but still a problem at that!

Lisa said...

Thanks for the comment Jessica. One thing Ron and have both always agreed about is no TV in the bedroom, but maybe desperate times call for desperate measures! He watched plenty during the day, especially when I feel the need to rest, and I really am hoping to be able to change that later.