Saturday, April 5, 2008

Mostly Awesome Day

Today I got to go to a beautiful Blessing for the amazing and talented Amy. It was a really enjoyable gathering. The other Aimee's baby Jon got lots of attention as the only little one there. I got this adorable picture of him watching the candles:
And here is the beautiful baby belly, henna courtesy of the awesome Breana.

So why was this day only mostly awesome? Poor Aimee's car wouldn't start when she got outside! Why did it have to be the one mom with a baby? We tired to jump start it in case it was the battery, but that didn't work. She got in touch with her husband, who started heading out. I felt terrible leaving her there, but she said she was fine, and Ron was pissy because I was supposed to be coming home so he could go to his stupid MMA fights. Of course when I called him on the way home, he said he would have done the same thing. At least I was only a half hour late!

5 comments:

Aimee said...

Thanks so much for trying to help!! My FIL brought over a new battery tonight just to try, threw it in and it started right up. Who knew that a battery could be so dead that it couldn't even be jumped?! Thats such a sweet pic of Jon,

EarlGirl said...

What happens at a blessing? It looks so interesting with the candles and all.

Lisa said...

That is crazy Aimee! I can't believe it was turning over that much but wouldn't start, but I am glad it is running well now.

And earlgirl, it just so happens I am in the process of planning my own Blessing! They can be different depending on the mom, but there is often a candle lighting where people introduce themselves and say how they know the mama, a part where the women give a bead to the mama and tell what it signifies, and a ritual in which we pass around yarn and name our female line while wrapping the yarn around our wrists. For a moment we are all connected, and then the yarn is usually cut and made into bracelets to where until the mama is in labor. There are other things people do, but those are the main ones I have seen at blessings.

EarlGirl said...

That's so beautiful! I love that feeling of connectedness with my ancestors. What an awesome thing to do.

nicole said...

It was a beautiful blessing. though I wish I would have been able to visit more with you Lisa and some other mamas who I didn't get to talk to. :(
I wish I would have gotten over to snuggle with baby Jon, he is so completely adorable.