Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Rant about Teeth and Eating Habits

Today was another pretty slow day, so I figure it is a good day for a rant. :) Since Orion got his dental work done, I have been thinking about dental hygeine again and trying to do a better job. We already are very careful about his night brushing, and I was doing various xylitol products during the day, but I am trying to add some more brushings.


The thing that has always bugged me is the dental profession seems at odds with the best advice about eating. I like to let Orion eat all through the day whenever he wants. I think it is pretty well known that grazing is the best eating habit to develop, and letting kids monitor their own hunger levels as they are growing up is even more important to preventing food issues later on. But the sheet most dentists hand out tells you to try and do few discrete meals. Of course this makes sense if you have problems with your teeth. You eat, you clean them. But I guess that is why this is a rant. It just is so annoying that the healthiest way to eat makes for so much more work in taking care of your teeth.

No comments: