Saturday, April 23, 2011

Silk Tie Egg Coloring!

I was so excited when I saw this project popping up on few Facebook walls as I have done sooo many different types of Easter Eggs over the years, and this was totally different! You can Google this and find it on about 100 blogs, but here is my contribution lol.

What you need:

As many eggs as you want to decorate - NOT boiled yet
Old WHITE tshirts - enough to cut into squares that will cover your eggs
100% Silk ties - same as with the shirts
String, yarn or twist ties
A pot big enough to hold all the eggs
1/2 cup vinegar

So I ran out and bought some silk ties at The Goodwill (they have to be marked 100% silk).
Then I got to work, while others hung out under the table.
Here are some of the squares I cut:
The next thing you want to do is wrap the colored side of the fabric next to the egg as tightly as possible. Then cover it with a white square to keep it in place, and tie it somehow. I saw various versions of this, including twist ties and wrapping string all the way around the egg. I liked making them into a "candy bundle" and tying both ends with yarn.
Then put them in a pot with water to cover and the vinegar. I also saw various boiling times, but went with a long one, about 45 minutes, and I think it paid off in vivid colors. What do you think? :)
Publish Post

1 comment:

FannyHams said...

i wanted to do that this year. but was too sick to go to goodwill tog et ties. next year. or maybe just.. anytime :)