Sunday, February 28, 2010

Day 11?

Not really of course. But it kindof felt like it! We mostly relaxed at home yesterday, but then I was telling Ron about the Travel Bug on a race to the East Coast, and he said I might as well take it out to the Gorge as I had planned today since he had work to do. So off we went!

Little cutie on the way to the car. She found these glasses and pushed them up on her head, which I thought was adorable as I wear mine like that sometimes.

Crooked glasses in motion!
I had read about a Travel Bug Hotel in Hood River, so that was our first stop to drop off our racer. And what a cool place it was!!! This cache is at the old site of the Crag Rats hut. All that remains is the chimney. It isn't even marked. Here are Akasha and Tippy checking out the ruins.
Towering to the sky.
Next stop - Tippy finds the cache!
Just a random cute shot taken at the spot.
Nice cache! Think Orion will like this Transformery looking dude.
I think I left it much better than I found it. Pretty obvious to a cacher but hopefully not as visible to others.
Really nice view of the Columbia from the park!
Akasha checks out some moss.
Next stop was on an isthmus. Akasha near the hiding spot:
She liked this one as there was a place to throw rocks in water. I think she would do this all day if she had the chance.
Lovely little spot called Thunder Island I might never have checked out if not for this. It took awhile to walk out to where the cache was as Akasha had to check out every stick along the way. But it was a lovely walk!
Tree at the end of the island.
When I realized the cache was in the rocks just to right of the tree... on the way down to the water... I almost gave up. But dang, we had come a ways to give up! And it really wasn't that bad. I just moved Akasha from flat rock to flat rock while I searched within arms reach of her. And I found it! I also was wanting to because it was supposed to have a Travel Bug called The Wet Seal inside, and it did! I forgot to get a picture of it here, but I will when I place it somewhere else.

View of the Bridge of the Gods from the point.
Tippy enjoys the view.

This tree is on the island just the other side of the bridge, and I thought it was just about the best climbing tree I had ever seen!


Right after this, I stopped under the bridge to buy fish from the Native Americans who usually sell there. I saw this other couple with some papers looking around and thought I remembered seeing on the map a puzzle or multicache series starting near this point, so I asked if they were Geocaching. They were! It was actually just a micro, which was why I hadn't noted it. When they were done, the girl offered me the paper with the clue in case I wanted to get it. Well, I went over there, and it was gone!!! I hear about these things being stolen, but whoa, how did it disappear in just those few moments? The girl even went over later to double check the exact spot. It just seems so stupid. Who would want it? Oh well.

One last stop at the edge of the property belonging to the old Hollywood Dairy. This photo looks so stark and Wintery. The spot won't be like this for long!
Another successful day, and now I think I will take a break from long drives for awhile. :)

1 comment:

Shady Lady said...

Love little miss Hollywood!!