Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Ron's Aha!

So I haven't mentioned sleep lately. Suffice it to say, we are still struggling. I only really worry when Orion has a night of 2 or 3 hours sleep. Thankfully, there have only been a handful of those, but his behavior is so fragile the next day, and I end up feeling really depressed thinking we can't go anywhere or be around people, so they are pretty draining for both of us when they happen.

On the other hand, some interesting parenting stuff has come out of this for Ron.

The average night has much more to do with Orion deciding if he wants to lay down with Ron when Ron is ready to collapse from exhaustion, and Orion always decides he does. Most nights go OK, and he settles into watching a movie while Ron puts in earplugs and passes out. However, something new has been happening recently - the "middle of the night wake up and ask for a movie phase".

I often mention one of Lyla's favorite mantras: "What you resist persists," and the events of the past few nights have highlighted just how true it is. A couple nights ago then again last night, this very thing happened. Ron said his first inclination was to tell him no or at least encourage him to lay back down as he was pretty sure he wasn't really fully awake, but he decided to surrender to the request instead. Every time so far, Orion has been back asleep within minutes! (Fingers crossed it keeps going this way!)

Ron was pretty excited to tell me about it and seemed to feel pretty proud of himself. He has definitely gone in and out of several flow phases with Orion (as I do daily LOL) and seems pretty in the current right now. I wish I could say the same for me when it comes to the sleep stuff. I am having alot of trouble finding any empathy or acceptance around the nights when he just barely sleeps. I really hope something we discover with our naturopath starts working soon.

No comments: