Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Wow, he really won!!!!

It still seems surreal. Even though so many people were predicting a landslide, it had to really happen to be believed! So now we have our first "black" president. Is that annoying to anybody else? Isn't he half "white"? Doesn't that make him as much a white president as a black president? I said that to Ron, and he said, "Yes, but we have had lots of white presidents before." Yes, of course it is huge that we have a "person of color" at president! Oh wait, I don't really like that label either. Don't we all have some color to us? And what ever happened to African American? Or did that get too long for the reporters to say when they had to use it so frequently? :rolleyes: I don't know.... I think all these labels are lame, but I suppose people do need a way to identify their heritage. And it is no doubt this is amazing and noteworthy. To be honest, it *is* even more amazing how close he is to his African descent. I never imagined our first nonwhite president would be somebody with a parent not born in this country! Speaking of which, there were some GREAT pictures from around the world. So enough ranting about labels. I want to save some of these images forever!

Some of Obama's relatives celebrating.
I loved all the ones of his step grandmother. She looks like such a wisewoman!
I think this is my favorite though.
Cool!
And this one is kindof odd. Is that Gandhi? Not sure what he is implying here - some type of mind meld?
It is encouraging to see such a wonderful response from around the world. Obama has his hands full for sure with our financial crisis, but I think it is going to be fascinating to see what this presidency will mean for our foreign relations. And indeed, it really does restore faith in the idea that you can be whoever you want to be in this country!

No comments: