Sunday, March 2, 2008

Crazy Couple Days

My friend Jessica is "due" on March 14, but she has been starting to dilate for awhile and thought she would be early. Sure enough, on the night of 2/29, she seemed to be going into labor. I went to hang out the next day and had Orion play with Olivia through what we thought was early labor time. Pam, the midwife, had come by to check things out and decided to go home as Jess wasn't very far along yet, so I headed home in the evening as well to wait for a possible phone call later.

I decided to go to sleep with Orion and was glad I did as Dane called around 1am. He said they were filling up the tub and thought this was it! So I rushed right over and hoped Orion would stay asleep. Jessica was doing great working through her contractions although she was clearly in alot of pain. She was totally ready for Pam to check her and get some encouragement. When Pam and Lennon got there, Jess found out she was at 4cm. She seemed to be in better spirits after that and totally got into labor land. I was really impressed with the way she was working through her contractions in such a focused way.

She labored the night away, but for some reason, things started to mellow out this morning. Pam thought it might have been because she took castor oil, so that might have made the labor seem more intense than it was ready to be. Luckily, being Sunday, Ron's work load was light enough that I could stick around for awhile while he hung out with Orion. In the afternoon, Pam said she thought things wouldn't start moving again until at least evening, so I went home to spend some time with my boy.

Well... later on Orion started vomiting. :( I am worried since there has been a horrible stomach bug going around that can last as much as 5 days. Jessica's whole family has had it, so I might be OK going back, but if what if this is a different bug that he picked up in CA? She doesn't need that with a new baby coming! He vomited 3 times fairly close together, so we will see what happens later tonight and tomorrow....

No comments: