Friday, March 7, 2008

Measuring

We had a pretty quiet day today, but it ended up with a theme.... Orion came to me in the morning and asked how big one of his toys was. I got the thought that since he is recognizing numbers now, he might have fun with measuring, so I went and got a tape. Boy was I right. He was thrilled with the idea! He went all over the house and kept bringing more things to get measured. Some we did by holding the tape upright and talking about height, and others we laid down next to it and talked about length. I also tried to explain a bit about "fractions", or at least the concept that some things were in the middle of the inch markings, and I showed him where a quarter and a half were. When he brought over Daddy's shoe, we found it to be exactly 12 inches, so I mentioned that is actually why it is called a foot haha. He went on to measure the whole length of the table with my help, and later, I found him on the stairs measuring the steps! Yay for real life math!

Here are a few things he measured:

No comments: