Thursday, March 6, 2008

Watching my tone...

Something really interesting happened today. We had just gotten in the car and Orion was asking to listen to some music. The CD he wanted was in a case... somewhere in the car, but things have gotten so piled up in there this winter that I couldn't even see it. I tried moving a few things around, but still couldn't find it, so I said something about how messy the car is and that is why I have said before we need to clean it out so we can find things. I didn't think I had said it in a mean tone or anything, but Orion said, "Moooom, say it nice." !!!!! So I said, "Oh, did you not like my tone?" because we talk about that sometimes, and then said, "Hey, we need to clean the car out," in a really cheerful way. He said, "I like that tone much better!" LOL It was funny, but really thought provoking at the same time.

My first thought was that I must not realize how I sound sometimes. I have been really tired and achy this pregnancy, and I know it is affecting my mood, so I am trying to find a way to be more upbeat. My second thought was that he might have felt blamed. I didn't think my words or tone conveyed that, but the fact he spoke up makes me wonder.... My final thought was a bit more positive. :) I am happy that I am raising a son who *will* speak up. I have heard him say several things I say to him when he doesn't like what I am doing. Once when I lost my temper, he yelled back at me, "Don't yell at me!" Good for him. I try to be a good model for him, and things like this remind me that it works and that I need to think about the more subtle things that may be affecting him as well.

No comments: