Sunday, April 12, 2009

That food business might be kicking in finally....

I was telling my friend Lyla what happened at Starbucks the other day and realized I never wrote it up here! Orion was having a pretty challenging day. We had been giving some folks a ride somewhere, and the freeway traffic was unusually heavy. So we ended up with a completely full van of people, some of them strangers to Orion, and some of them crying children, which Orion HATES. By the end of the trip, he was screaming too. I thought I was going to go insane!

Where we parked to let our friends out, there was a Starbucks in the parking lot, so I thought it would be a welcome break. We went in, and I told Orion he could pick out any food thing and any drink thing. He took AGES to decide. He has been having a hard time making decisions recently, but this was crazy. It was like he was so miserable that nothing could fix it. I think he knew he needed to eat but couldn't figure out what. We even got a chair so he could look at the pastries high up. I think he said he wanted each thing in the case at least once, and then would say no.

After what seemed like half an hour, I could not believe what he chose!!! A little platter with a hard boiled egg, a whole wheat bagel and peanut butter, fruit and cheese! Whoa - there were rice crispy treats, scones, cookies, cakes, and that is what he knew he needed. It's really true, the more hands off you are, the more a kid can self monitor!

1 comment:

Melissa Zollner said...

i asked maddy the other day what her body was hungry for and she thought about it long and hard and said "donuts mama. definitely donuts."