Saturday, August 2, 2008

Wizard of Oz

Orion has been noticing the Wizard of Oz VHS box lately, so I decided a family movie night was in order, especially since it was a pretty sluggy day and I needed some couch oriented entertainment. :) Even though he often doesn't care for movies with live actors, I thought this would be a bit more enchanting with all the costumes and such, and indeed it did hold his interest quite well!

I was tickled because I have been somewhat of a fanatic in the past. I was one of those kids who looked forward to that one night a year like it was Christmas. (Wow I am giving away my age here). When I was in college, I had the entire movie on cassette - dialogue and music. I used to listen to it in my VW Bug and knew the whole thing by heart.

I chose the Glenda picture because I really liked her when I was little. Then I went though all kinds of phases. First I thought it was great than they had good witches and bad witches. Then I thought it was lame there was some sort of connection between good meaning beautiful and bad meaning ugly. But then I took it the next step and thought it could be argued that being bad eventually makes you ugly.... Hmmm.

Then of course I have heard about how Wicked has a whole different take on things. I really need to read that one of these years.

No comments: