Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Family Tree by Frances England

I have a new girl crush. Her name is Frances England. Not only is she musically talented, but she is cute and a mom. I discovered her when I won her Family Tree CD - what luck! I like the songs, but I think the biggest attraction for me is that she plays the banjo. I have realized I have a weird, irrational love of the banjo. There are many other instruments I like quite a bit - flute, harp, mandolin, fiddle (not violin)... but there is something about the banjo that goes right down to my soul. Maybe I should learn to play some day....

But on to the songs. I was stirred to tears right from the very first song (and the title track), so much so I have to share the lyrics!

Family Tree

Last night while everyone was asleep
I looked out my window, up through the trees
The sky was so big and covered in stars
I knew a baby brother or sister soon would be ours

CHORUS
Hey Ho, our family of three
Is growing beyond my mommy, daddy, and me
Hey Ho, just how will it be
When we add another branch to our family tree

I’ll be the protector, so strong and wise
I’ll be the cheerleader always by his side
This cute, little baby will soon enough see
No one could love him any more or better than me

CHORUS

I’ll teach him all the things I’ve learned along the way
I’ll help him blow out the candles on his first birthday
We’ll grow up together, side by side
Take care of one another - full of love, full of pride

CHORUS

********************

And then the next song started.... The Animal Inside You - it seemed like your average animal behavior song, granted with some extra clever rhyme schemes, but then I caught the end of the chorus:

So if you feel like flying,
Open your wings and let go
And if you feel like roaring,
Open your mouth and let go
The animal inside you,
The animal you want to be,
The one that you know

************************

Wow, there is something really pagan about that. Not sure if that is how she meant it, but that is how it sounds to me! Oh, and she says "ope" in one of her songs! I say ope alot - enough that it is in my head when I think out words, and I have wanted to put it in my writing. It looks odd on the page, though, and I figure people will have no idea what it means. In fact, I noticed that Frances left it out of her lyrics when she wrote them out! (Look at me getting all cozy on a first name basis so I can pretend like I know her). I feel like I am listening to a kindred spirit. :)

Not all the songs are super great, but they are all pretty enjoyable. Of course I like the ones with the banjo the best and wish they all featured it! My only criticism is that some of the songs seem really short. I wish she had lengthened them, even if it meant repeating some of the lyrics.

So now I guess her first CD will have to go on my wish list. Stay tuned for another review when I eventually get it....

No comments: