Friday, August 1, 2008

Death of a Benz

What a day , what a day. I have now officially been in my second worst car accident, and the baby was with me. I don't think I have ever been more freaked out by something in my life. In fact, I can't even remember what was happening right before I got hit. They asked me to describe the accident, and I honestly can't remember! It is like I have some memory loss of those few minutes, and that is even more freaky!

We were rear ended in our Benz station wagon. Just the baby and me. We are OK, but I am quite sore. The entire back was smashed in, and I was hit into the person in front of me. I was in complete shock and just kept saying "oh my god" over and over. The keys were knocked out of the ignition, so I had to find them to even turn off the car. Then I couldn't get the back door open at first. I must have had that super mommy power going because I yanked it to get the baby and it opened. Then it wouldn't even come close to closing. It was like two inches off! The entire back window shattered, and there were pieces of glass in Akasha's carseat! But miraculously there wasn't a scratch on her! I was so completely freaked out and was probably squishing her I was holding her so tight! Ron drove right over. He said the entire frame is bent, and that means they are going to have to total it. I am so sad about this. There goes our biodiesel car. I am also worried about if this is going to affect my back. It would be a bummer to not be able to babywear, but the most important this is that we are OK.

Ron took some pictures with his phone. Somehow it doesn't look as bad here as it felt. You have to remember, though, this is a 5000 pound car! Ron said he must have been going at least 30mph faster than us to do that kind of damage to an old Benz.

Front end damage
Rear end damage with shattered window.
Here you can see how far off the door is
Going to be some PT and chiro in my future methinks.

3 comments:

Melissa Zollner said...

So glad you are both okay! We got rear ended when Maddy was 13 months old, it totally terrified me, I went into shock from the fear and the adrenaline rush, it was terrible. Wishing you a speedy recovery and good idea on the chiro care, it helped us both immensely!

Jessica said...

Oh Lisa, that is so terrible. I am thanking the universe that you guys are safe, although back injuries are a bitch!!!

Amoreena said...

{{Hugs}} How scary! Glad to hear you guys are both ok. Hope the back is doing well.