Thursday, June 12, 2008

Spare the Rod, Spoil the Child...

Just sitting here thinking about a conversation I had with Rose, and I think it is important enough to make a post about!

She is a Jehovah's Witness, and while I don't see myself ever going down that path, I do like knowing about the Bible, and I think the various interpretations are really interesting. We have been talking about parenting alot, and the subject of hitting came up. She said something about not knowing any better until she found God. So I asked her about that famous passage and what the JW's make of it.

She said that most people take the rod to mean something to hit with, but it was meant to be a shepherd's staff. Shepherds don't beat sheep. If anything, it is more like a nudge. The shepherd's job is gentle guidance.... :jawdrop aha moment: It seems so obvious now. I had just never thought about it much I guess because you always hear it as a justification for hitting. I am SO glad I asked because now I will feel "armed" the next time somebody spouts that malarky at me! Totally cool!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a nice interpretation! sending lots of easy labor vibes your way. :)

EarlGirl said...

I love that, I've never thought of it that way. Makes sense to me! Smooth and easy labor vibes coming from me too.

Laura said...

cool! and... CONGRATULATIONS! I couldn't resist ;). Can't wait to see the birth story!