Monday, June 2, 2008

Amazing Book from my Youth

Have you ever come across something from your youth and had an "aha" moment about how it was an integral part of you became? Well, I had one of those just recently. Awhile ago, I was organizing books and decided to read something from my daughter's collection. This book caught my eye and immediately brought back memories.


So I started to read it again and couldn't help but think about how it is connected to so many things I am fascinated by - spending time in nature, living off the land, wild edibles, survival skills, even falconry. Could this book be the origin of some of those interests...?

It is funny I was also immediately struck with adult thoughts, like how crazy to have kids reading this book since it is about a boy "running away". Is that the kind of thing I would want to encourage? And yet, when I think of my childhood memories of this book, it really had nothing to do with that. And it wasn't like he left a bad situation. He just wanted to live in nature and be self sufficient. So I let that go.

And then it turned out the most touching part of the whole book for me is when his father comes up looking for him. There is no criticism from him, not even concern really as he sees how well he has done, only glowing happiness at his success. Coming from the recent unschooling conference, what a beautiful example of supporting your child's passion!

I just finished it today. I didn't remember how it ended at all, and it really knocked me for a loop! I won't talk about it here in case anybody decides to read it (or reread it like me!), but I will say it made me cry. Not that it takes much these days, but it really was a beautiful finish.

2 comments:

Andrew Clarke said...

If you believe in compassion instead of harshness, and like books that speak up for the mistreated, may I suggest "Outcasts Of Skagaray" as something you might find a good read? It was written in to let ideas out of my mind about cruelty, either to animals or children, and became a full length fantasy novel. For excerpts, please check out www.threeswans.com.au and see the sample chapters. If you read it I hope you find it uplifting, because that was one of the things I hoped to do for the reader. Best wishes, whatever happens.

Lisa said...

That sounds really interesting. I will put it on my list. It reminds me of another book my daughter and I both read called Winter of Fire. You should check that out if you get a chance!