Sunday, February 10, 2008

Just One Cracker?

We had a very rough night with Orion last night. He seems to be going through a hard patch right now anyways, but it was even worse than usual at our covenant group meeting. Like most kids, he does better with others than with mom. I have worried about him hitting or pushing since he will do that if he is fighting over a toy, but they tell me he is great. Until last night anyway.... So now I have something new to worry about and wonder if he should be in that setting. Not to mention wonder what the heck has been going on lately and seems to be getting worse. Ron ended up just taking him home during the potluck because we were having a hard time eating and I still had to get the place cleaned up.

Then came the rest of the night.... We had been to the Y earlier, and on the way home, he told me he ate a cracker. This happens there alot, even though I talk to the providers about making sure he doesn't get wheat or dairy. Maybe I am not stressing it enough. I talked to him about how it gives him a stomach ache, etc. but he just doesn't seem to be making the connection yet. Or he doesn't care. All I could do was hope it was only one.... It did cross my mind at the meeting that maybe that had something to do with his behavior, as we definitely have noticed a gluten connection before, but then I kept thinking, he said it was just one cracker....

And then in the middle of the night came the screaming and writhing, which is what he has done in the past when he gets gluten. He wakes up crying, "Owie!" and squirms around and has trouble getting back to sleep. Last night was worse than usual. Longer, louder, and not even wanting me to touch him or talk to him. :( Ron was on a work call, but he heard him and came in after awhile. He offered to walk him around, and that worked for some reason. That is not something we do on a regular basis, but it worked like a charm last night - put him right back to sleep.

But now I am left still bothered and wondering. Was it really just one cracker? Or is he really that sensitive? I didn't think he had been in the past. Could it be getting worse? Lots of questions and no answers from a tired mommy. I have a friend who uses digestive enzymes with her boys. I have been meaning to ask about them more. Maybe now is the time....

2 comments:

Hippomama said...

Just a suggestion for future childcare things. How about printing up some kind of nametag type sticker to put on his back that says "Wheat & Dairy Allergy: Please no: and a list of common wheat/dairy ingredients"

Sorry for such a rotten night. You'll hate us, but Finn seems to be growing out of his dairy issue. I'm so thankful we don't have to deal with such severe reactions!

Anonymous said...

Wow Lisa, when you said the other day that you guys had a rough night, I didn't picture this:( Of course I didn't get to ask more either cause of our rough and tumble boys, Hope that we dont have to cancel again Today

~angie