Thursday, May 31, 2007

A Day in the Gorge

And that wasn't even how it started! I found out one thing today - Jantzen Beach sucks! I always thought there was an interesting waterfront shopping area there, but what you can see from the bridge is apparently just boat docks and a some houseboats. I had been told the carousel was a neat place to go, but it turns out it is in some mall full of Targets and Circuit Cities and such. That is pretty much all that is on the island - a bunch of national big box stores. I would still probably take Orion there on a rainy day, but for today, we headed to the Gorge!

Wakheena Falls (need to check the spelling, but I think that is correct...)

Higher up, just before getting to the bridge

View from the bridge. It was hard to get a picture because of all the mist

Orion with Rose and Jim

I have posted pics of Multnomah Falls before, but this was my first time up to the bridge. Here is an intereting one of the bottom of the upper falls plus some of the cascades right under them.
Can you find the centipede? This water was actually inside the middle of a hollowed out tree. When I saw it, I told Orion it was a bug pool, then lo and behold, we found this little dude. We watched him for awhile as he cruised around over the leaves and skirted the edge of the water. Then when we got back down to the bottom, Rose offered to buy us each something at the gift store. Orion picked a pink pen than said Multnomah Falls and had a spinning thing that lights up on top (that was why he really chose it) and I will probably never live down choosing plastic ketchup and mustard bottles LOL. Hey, I want to start making homemade ketchup, so it was a great choice! And they came with a little piece of wood that has two holes to hold the bottles and says "Food Colorin" on it hahahaha. The Vista House! Too bad you can't see the pretty colors in the stained glass windows. I was so glad we found this place. I had a feeling that was where the road went, but there were no signs when we were on it. And this place turned out even neater than we realized. There was a whole basement section with old pictures and a gift store and the inside was all lined with marble.
The view to the left (towards Portland)
The view to the right


No comments: