Sunday, March 7, 2010

And in other news...

... Akasha knows her colors! Or she is starting to anyway. And how did I discover this? At the park, she was happily swinging in the red swing until another mom came and put their child in the blue swing next to her, and... you probably guessed it. She started yelling, "I want the blue swing!" :/

Yes, we have entered this phase in full. Everything Akasha picks up, Orion tries to grab away and everything Orion picks up, Akasha screams that she wants it. These interactions are such a bummer for me. I know all the "right things" to do in such situations, but it still saddens me. They fight over toys, food, which chair to sit in, my lap of course, seems like everything!!! I think what bothers me the most is it is such a representation of *scarcity* thinking. These kids have been raised with so much freedom and an effort to find a way to say yes to their desires, so why? Whywhywhy?

My friend Lyla pointed out that our family is experiencing a "Daddy scarcity" right now with all the hours Ron is working, which is pretty insightful, and indeed I think there is an aura of time scarcity as well. I think I have a bad habit of getting caught up in time scarcity even when everything else is going great. It gets me to wondering if it is impossible to completely get away from the culture of scarcity our society seems to promote. I guess the first step is awareness. I want to teach my children that life is joyful and full of abundance! So yeah, *I* have to be the model for that, and I don't think I do a very good job of it alot of the time. Hopefully I am moving in the right direction though....

No comments: