Sunday, July 8, 2007

The Lorax and The Wine Country

So that is where he went when all the truffula trees got chopped down!


Oh wait, just two totally different parts of my day haha. My day started at church. I had signed up a long time ago to teach one of the summer Sundays, and we had a Dr. Seuss theme this year. You better bet I jumped on the Lorax right away! What I wasn't expecting was such a huge crowd! I do believe I counted 19 kids! It took them awhile to settle down, and they were just not into the opening questions at all, but when Jenn started reading the story, they were totally into it. Then there was a craft time, which was making truffula trees. They had a choice of pipe cleaners or straws for the trunks, and there were cotton fluffs for the tops along with markers to decorate them with. We used little bits of clay to make them stand up. I got the idea to lay down a big piece of paper and said that would be our forest, so the kids had a place to stick all the trees and it became more of a joint art project. I love that kind of thing. Before I knew it, there were kids making fish and swans and bears - all the other characters from the story - out of pipecleaners, clay or whatever. I love UU kids!

Then we headed out to the wine country later. That was what I really wanted to do for my birthday, but this was the best day for it. Had a great time although we got a later start than I wanted to, which meant we didn't get to hit has many wineries. I hade made ahead a chicken salad from a recipe in a picnic cookbook I have, and it was AWESOME. We tried some really great wines, and Ron bought he a Pinot Noir that was way too expensive. If I ever get on the ball, I will find my notes and edit this with where we actually went.

No comments: