Saturday, July 21, 2007

David Korten in Portland

What a great ending to a fun day! Thanks to my friend Teri for letting me know about this event just a few days before it happened, and thanks to Kristin for letting Orion stay with them, I got see one of my current favorite activists in person. You can see more about David Korten under the link entitled The Great Turning in my favorites.
His talk was so inspiring. I have never heard somebody talk so fast and present so much dense information and yet still be perfectly clear. One of my favorite tidbits:

We need to switch from the love of power to the power of love.

You can read more in the link if you are interested, but his basic premise is that we are at a crucial moment in human history. In order to survive, we need to move from the competitive empire model of society to a more cooperative and community based model.

He gave this great extended metaphor using the transformation from catepillar to butterfly. The catepillar is a voracious consumer. When it goes into transformation mode, the cells of the catepillar initially resist the organizer cells that try to form the butterfly. But then the higher self wins out, and the butterfly is born. Now we have a creature that helps to pollinate and is life affirming. This is the transformation our society is hopefully going through. That was a VERY short version, but you get the picture!

Overall, I came out very inspired to step up our efforts to go biodiesel and to put more effort into getting a cohousing community off the ground, among other things....

No comments: