Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Audubon

I wanted to get Orion out of the house today, so we decided to get over to the Audubon Society trails finally. Might have been a mistake, because I can't believe how sore I was when we got home! Then again we ended up walking farther than I meant to due to the fact I didn't print out a map at home. We actually got a bit "lost". Not really, I guess, but we didn't know where we were for awhile or if where we were going was going to lead back to the entrance. I thought the trails would be better marked!

At a junction....
These were pretty funny. If you pushed on them, they would rotate! Not a very good design! When I first noticed it, I got the impression we were in Wonderland haha.

Digging in the dirt. Stupid little camera doesn't have a very good auto focus.
Where Akasha was during the hike. :)
Lovely trail. I think this was the Woodpecker Trail, and we saw one!
Climbing on a fallen tree.
New friend! This is Owen.
We met him near the pond. He was a great match for Orion - about 4 1/2 but a head shorter. They were wrestling and knocking each other on the ground and laughing the whole time. Once in awhile Orion would say really politely the he needed a break. No yelling or getting upset. I wish I knew what the magic formula was. Every once in awhile there is a kid he just gets along with like peas in a pod. Turns out the family was from the Eastside or I would have tried to plan some future connections. It was great while we were there though!

Julio the Owl out for a stroll.
The whole place was really cool. They have several enclosures right near the entrance for birds that are permanently hurt or need rehab. When I asked Orion why he thought the woman holding the owl was wearing a glove, he said so she wouldn't get bit. I asked for another reason, and he said so she wouldn't get dirty LOL. I guess there is some Virgo in him. I finally had him look at the owl's feet so he could see how sharp the talons were. But it was cool he thought of so many different reasons!

We also saw a banana slug on the trail and a bunch of salamanders in the pond. Orion's favorite place was the nature center though. Especially the topo map. It was the kind that had a bunch of buttons to push that corresponded to areas or trails that would light up. Great fun!

No comments: