Thursday, January 31, 2008

The post I have not been wanting to make...

So... it appears that Orion is pretty much weaned, at least for now.... It is such a shock to me because I guess I thought we would push on all the way through pregnancy. I have to admit I encouraged it a bit during the day because I was in so much pain. I would just ask if he was hungry or thirsty in case he was interested in something to eat or drink, and often he would choose that instead. He continued to nurse at bedtime and in the morning most of the time, but would often get frustrated at night because there was no milk and would quit on his own.

Then came the big fall. He had not really nursed more than a few seconds in the couple days before, but I though for sure he would when he got hurt, but nope. Over the next few days, he would say "nunu" once in awhile, but when I tried to get him in my lap, he wouldn't come. It was almost like he just wanted to say the word. Or I wonder if he thought it would hurt his shoulder to lay sideways.... Either way, he hasn't nursed since. It seems so ironic that it would be an injury that was the final thing that made me realize he was done!

It is bittersweet. On the one hand, it will be nice to be able to eat what I want and pamper myself a bit in pregnancy, but I also wonder if he was really ready. He has been more attached to a blanket and doll at night, and I have always read that is a sign of not being ready. :( I also wonder if he will forget how to latch by the time the new baby comes. He is excited to know my milk will come back and says he wants to nurse then, but I have heard many older kids have trouble with this. Guess I will just have to wait and see.

As one beloved mama put it, just one more opportunity to be open to the universe. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some really big things are happening for you in the few days since I last read your blog. I have no experience with weaning, but my take is that your child is leading his weaning- which is really great! It sounds like even the fall is a normal, natural event, even if it is precipitating Orion's self weaning. Even at 13 months, I feel like I am celebrating Kai's development on the outside, encouraging him, but sometimes feel loss on the inside when new advances take him further from me. I think you are supporting him by allowing him to come back to the breast whenever he wants, making it his choice. Sending you (all of you) love. And I LOVE the belly piqs! :)