Monday, January 21, 2008

New Blog, Kitchen Science and Cuteness

I decided to start a new blog because I have been posting so many cooking pictures. I figure it will be good place to track gluten and dairy free stuff I try, and I can add the recipes with the pictures. The address is http://gfcfwhatscooking.blogspot.com/

The only problem is, there are usually cute Orion pictures that go with the cooking pictures, so I guess I will leave those here. :) Also, sometimes I am approaching cooking as an educational experience. Like today we made meringues. Orion got a couple science books from Santa for Christmas, so I wanted to start working through one of them. In the one I picked, the first section was Kitchen Science. It isn't the right time of year to start seeds from fruits, so we skipped to the egg stuff. We spent some time looking at the egg whites, or should I say observing? :) We talked about what consistency they were and that they had a clear color. Then I started beating them and right away they got frothy, so we talked about bubbles and what is in them. I explained the beaters were adding more and more air and that the cells in egg whites were expanding like lots of little balloons. We watched as it got more and more opaque and stiff and talked about how the volume had changed. Then of course came the xylitol, and the science was all over haha. Actually, we added yellow food coloring at the end, and that is always fascinating to see how the color blends in.

Orion prefers this form best I think.

I love the reflection in the spoon on this one even though it is overexposed.


Now I just have to get the recipe and food pics up on the other blog and try to keep it up!

No comments: