Sunday, October 12, 2008

Kona's Adventure

What a sad, sad night I had. :( Kona got out our side fence yesterday. I noticed it just as I was leaving to lead the covenant group. I am the only one with a key, so I had to go. I called Ron right away. He was at work but said he would go straight home to look for her instead of coming to pick up Orion. Ron showed up near the end of the meeting - no luck. I was so, so sad. When we got back, I said we should leave the side gate open just in case, and I hoped I would hear her if she scratched at the door. Ron went walking to look for her one more time, but no poor doggie.

I had the worst night. It was really cold and I just kept wondering where she was - if she had wandered North into the hills or was in a tract of homes somewhere. Was she under a bush, was she hurt, was she in the pound? I couldn't sleep thinking about her. I hoped she had been picked up because at least she would be safe, but it was terrible timing as the shelters are mostly closed on Sunday.

This morning, I was looking up shelter info and thinking about making some signs when there was a knock at the door. Sure enough, it was one of our neighbors and they had her. Turns out she was well loved by some neighborhood children. She had eaten all sorts of food, including some cat food LOL. They had named her Daisy. The really sad thing was that she could barely walk. When I got a chance to look, there were several places where the skin was rubbed off her pads. Hopefully she will heal up OK. We will probably put some hydrogin peroxide and maybe antibiotic ointment on them and just try to keep her off her feet as much as possible. I am so happy she is home. You never know how much your pets mean to you until they are gone.

No comments: