Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Mix, Roll, Cut, Bake, Frost, Sprinkle!

We finally got around to making Christmas cookies (which I had been trying to do all week). I found this awesome gluten free recipe on Recipezaar and even went for the full sugar version! Hey, it's the holidays - gotta live it up a little. I am glad I did, though, because I have been wanting to experiment to see how xylitol affects recipes, but I am usually too lazy to make a recipe two ways! So now I will have a control for next time, since these turned out to be awesome! The dough rolled out so easily and they baked up to the perfect consistency. Potato flour was suggested for kneading and rolling, and that seemed like a really good choice.

Here is my little cutter.Orion agrees with mom that the dough is even better than the final product!
Shapes aplenty.
First tray out of the oven.
Orion is very into making the face he wants for a photo these days. He was not annoyed or angry in the least. This is just the expression he wanted me to take. :shrug:
Decorating station all ready to go. Earth Balance frosting of course! I put a little almond extract in the red and mint extract in the green. Even though these cookies were great, they were a little plain, and that helped make them yummier. I would have chosen spice cookies, but Ron doesn't do ginger, so this was a pleaser for the whole family.
Getting some frosting.
Spreading up a bear. Orion got tired of the frosting fairly quickly, but loved doing the sprinkles.

All finished! So it wasn't that much variety in color, but they are great! Notice the angel with the green sprinkles on the top row. That was Orion's first attempt before I decided to help him slow it down a bit haha. Then he got the hang of it and did really well on his own.
Santa won't go hungry after all. :)

No comments: