Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Finally tried the Pumpkin Pie

I have been wanting to make this recipe for awhile. It is a well rated recipe I found online that is vegan and uses silken tofu. I also subbed in xylitol for all the sugar and used my macadamia nut crust. The one big snag is that it is actually a sweet potato pie haha. I could have sworn I recently bought pumpkin, but I couldn't find it. At least I got to make it, and I it is quite good.I didn't like this crust last time I made it. I think it was because I used unsalted macadamias and soy flour, which is what the original recipe called for. This time I used salted nuts, rice flour and just a little bit of xylitol. In my opinion, a crust should be just a tiny bit sweet and salty. It was awesome this time. So good, in fact, that I didn't want to throw the extra dough away. I remembered these things called snails my dad and I used to make from extra crust when making apple pies. He would cut the dough in strips, sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar, then roll them up and bake them. This dough would not roll when in a strip, so I just made balls, coated them in xylitol and cinnamon, and then baked them. I liked them, but Orion tried one and spit it out! Can't win them all.

2 comments:

Ellie said...

You're a domestic SuperMama!

Lisa said...

Haha, not really. If you saw the rest of the house you wouldn't think so!