Sunday, June 3, 2007

Last Full Day...

...and I take them to a cemetery?! Actually, we had a great time bopping around the hills right above where we live. It is amazing to me that we are so close to places that feel like they are totally in the country, complete with farmland. There were several things I thought they would like to see, and our first stop was indeed a cemetary! It is a cool Pioneer Cemetery though.
This site is pretty cool as it holds the oldest Baptist Church west of the Rockies and was also the site of the first school in the area.


This marker is really neat as this is the dude who was the captain of the first Wagon Train to cross the rockies!
More random cool graves
Notice Orion poking at gopher holes in the background. He was soooo dirty when we left here.




After the cemetery, we went to check out this local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) farm I had heard about. The owner was so nice. He said to come on in for a tour and he told us all about how they bought the property and converted it. It used to be a grass farm. He was from someplace in South or Central America, but I am having a brain fade right now and can't remember which country. Such a nice guy. He told us to go visit the goats if we wanted to and then he gave me 5 heads of lettuce that were leftovers! This is a great picture Jim got of the inside of the barn.

Next on the list was talking Rose and Jim into going to see "my tressle" as I call it. I just found this one day when I drove a ways out the same road the farm was on. They admitted they were not expecting anything so large! It was pretty funny because I could tell they were wondering why I was dragging them out to see a tressle, but they were impressed when we got there! Left view
Right view
Our last stop was Poppa. This place is pretty neat because they sell "recycled" gardening stuff, like plants people have donated. It is nonprofit and the proceeds go to spay and neuter. I have always wanted to check it out, so this seemed like a good opportunity since Jim is a plant expert. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed. I had heard their prices were really low, but that turned out not to be the case at all! The woman who helped us was really nice, but I just can't see paying regular prices for plants that aren't even in that great of condition. I did have a two for one coupon, so I got a couple hastas. Now I just have to figure out where to put them....
We also found a upick place for strawberries not far from us. They are open until 7, so I am hoping to get out there with Ron one night. And we spied this place called the Helvetia Tavern. I checked it out when I got home and it turns out they are famous for great burgers. We ended up going back for dinner and all 3 pronounced it the best burger they had ever had! It was a bit spendy for me because I paid the price of a grilled chicken sandwich to get just the meat, but it was good chicken. I was pleased to find out the fries are handcut and the chicken is fresh as well. I have been finding out more and more that both chicken and fries you get at fast food places have wheat products in them!
Ron is getting up really early to take Rose and Jim to the airport, so tonight was probably the last we will see them before they leave. It has been a great visit I think, although Rose has suffering from a lingering cough the whole time. Tantalizing tidbit... they mentioned an Alaskan cruise they are going on in September, and we are thinking about it.....

No comments: