Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Dream is Over, or Maybe Just Beginning.

How is that for an attention grabbing title? Just wanted to share a bit of what has been going on with us. There have been several things occupying almost all of my time recently, and one of them has been an obsession with picking what kind of car I want. When we refinanced our mortgage, they paid off my Focus, and we realized it was worth enough that we could sell it, put some money into the house and still get something cool and old.

My plan all along was to get an old VW bus, always a dream of mine. But the more important thing was to put a biodiesel engine into it. Until just about a week ago, we were assuming you could. I have been researching busses and contacting people on Craigslist, and Ron has been researching engines. It turns out there is not enough room in the old busses for a diesel engine! I was depressed for awhile, but finally came to terms with the idea of a Vanagon, which can be converted. I figure we can put a crazy paint job on it and pretend it is an old bus! I already bought an awesome handful of bumper stickers at the UUs General Assembly this past weekend!


So... we went to see one in Newberg over the weekend, put in an offer which was accepted, and picked it up Tuesday night! We really liked the people we bought it from. They had an 8 year old daughter, and we bonded over conversation about Burning Man, Breitenbush, Oregon Country Fair and camping in general! They are happy it is going to a family who will really use it and even more excited we want to turn it into a veggiebus.

Here are some of the pics the previous owner had on Craigslist. I will post more later.





Whoa, I can't believe we have a camper van!

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Whoohooo! That's awesome! Makes me want to get one too.... or maybe we'll just borrow it from you sometime to go camping. ;-)

FannyHams said...

thats too freaking cool!!!!

Lisa said...

Whoa, I have comments! Hehe, guess that is what happens when you give your blog out! Thanks guys!