Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Power of "I Love You"

I had an interesting parenting experience today. I feel a little bad writing it out because this is one of those stories Orion will probably be mad at me for when he is older. :) So if this blog is still around by then, and you read it some day, I apologize in advance, son.

Orion was at Kristin's for a few hours while I worked on the old house. When I went to pick him up, I noticed his pants were wet. Kristin said they had played outside in the water, so she thought that was all it was. I asked if he had had an accident, but he said no. I think my tone was totally neutral, or at least I tried to make it that way. The pattern of the wet area seemed pretty telltale, but I left it at that.

We chatted on the way home, and everything seemed pretty normal. I wasn't even really thinking about it anymore. Then, when we were near home, I told him I loved him, which I frequently do for no particular reason. His response was, "I peed at Mama Kristin's." I knew he meant on his pants. Wow, I was so surprised to find out he hadn't felt comfortable telling me earlier. Was it something in my demeanor? Or maybe just because there were other people around? He is just starting to show signs of being embarrassed about privacy related issues. So I just said let's go in the house and get your wet clothes off. I thought about talking it out some more, but I think the events pretty much spoke for themselves. And what a wonderful reminder that those random "I love you"s do make a huge difference in maintaining connection.

No comments: