Saturday, April 28, 2007

Strawberries and Subtraction

I am going to try and get better about blogging my thoughts on unschooling. I tend to just make this a chronicle of "stuff we do", which is unschooling in its own right, but some of the most important things go by unnoticed because I do them without thinking. Like this...

Orion loves strawberries! We had just 4 left in the refrigerator today and decided to pull them out for a snack. When he had eaten 2, he asked how many were left. I realized it was a great opportunity to talk about numbers! I explained first there were four, and then you ate one and there was three, and then you ate another one and now there are two, then when you eat one more, there will only be one, and when you eat that one, there will be zero. Math had begun!

No comments: