Thursday, November 22, 2007

Refugee Thanksgiving!

This turned out to be a very nice Thanksgiving. :) I knew I really wanted to have it at home, but a couple weeks ago I got to thinking how small it would seen with just the three of us. Then I realized there are lots of families in the same boat, so asked a couple families to share it with us who also have no extended family in the area. It turned out great for me as they were more that happy to bring a few dishes each, so I ended up having it pretty easy as far as cooking! Good thing since I ended up nauseous most of the day. I was really bummed about that as I am exactly 12 weeks and was hoping it would be mostly gone by now.

My table! So the chairs don't match, but I got to use my china and stemware for a group for the first time! Ron and I have used it several times, but it was nice to give it the kind of use it should have haha. I even got black melamine plates for the kids so they would match, and I looked up a fancy napkin folding online haha.The knife wielder! Notice the patches of skin off the turkey. I used a bag again, which seemed like a good call as it was pretty tender, but we had a moment of comedy getting it out. I needed the juices for gravy, so we wanted to try cutting a hole in the corner and draining them out like that before taking the turkey out. Um, yeah. Ron lifted it up and it help for a few seconds, then the bottom came out and it dropped into that pan (thankfully) and splattered turkey juice all over both of us! Good thing it had been sitting out awhile, as it was done much sooner than it said, or we probably would have been burned. Ron had a blast carving it with our old family knife, but I swear he ate so much I was surprised he could have dinner!
My only complaint was all the stupid football. But that seemed to be what all the menfolk wanted, so I guess it was OK.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We were in the same boat, no extended family up here so at the last minute we invited friends up on friday and celebrated then. I smoked a turkey which turned out fantastic. Oh and there was lots of football here also:)

Anonymous said...

Greetings! I stumbled upon your blog and have enjoyed reading it very much. I'm also a Portland mama to a boy, Kai, who is now 10 months old. I'm also a blogger and can so relate to the nausea you've been experiencing. Orion is so beautiful. I'd love it if you'd check out my blog!

Lisa said...

Hey Scott, Glad you guys did the same thing. We thought about asking you, but ended up with a couple families that live really close by since they were bringing food. I didn't think I could handle more than a couple since I have been feeling so unpredictable, and sure enough, I was nauseous most of the day. I love smoked food! I am jealous of your turkey. :)